If you are looking for a fun and pretty way to decorate a cake for a party, this marble drip cake is for you! Follow this decorating tutorial for and easy drip cake with a marble effect, and you’ll have a stunning cake in a matter of minutes! Also check out our marble candy apples!
We’re sharing a deliciously easy way to create a marble drip cake! Drip cakes can be so intimidating to make, but to be honest, they’re actually a fairly simple way to frost a cake!
As long as you’re comfortable using fondant to cover the cake, the frosting part is easy peasy! Fondant isn’t difficult either, it just takes some strength and time to roll it out!
We used a simple icing recipe and added a little corn syrup to keep some of the shine.
How to Make a Marble Drip Cake
Supplies to Make a Drip Cake
Fondant – Homemade or store-bought. You can try our marshmallow fondant recipe too!
Rolling Pin – Used to roll out the fondant.
Fondant Smoother – To get a smooth texture.
Baking Sheet and Cookie Rack – Used to place the cake so the icing can drip down and not create a mess.
Measuring Cup with Spout – To pour the icing over the cake.
Bake the cake in a standard 8″ round cake pan. Lightly frost the cakes before adding the fondant.
Knead and roll out the fondant to about 1/4 inch thick. Then place it over a lightly frosted cake.
The reason you frost the cake is so the fondant will stick to it and hold. Frost all the way down the sides, top, etc.
Place the fondant on top and then smooth it out using the fondant smoother. This will remove any bumps, it doesn’t have to be perfect!
If you need, store these cakes in the refrigerator for one day.
Place a rack on a rimmed cookie sheet and place the cake on top. This way the frosting will fall beneath.
Make the frosting (recipe below) and add in drops of desired food coloring. We used food coloring gel for this recipe.
Don’t stir it, it will marble as you pour. Since we love blue so much, we did different shades of it to create our marble effect. You can use any colors to make this cake!
Pour the icing over the top of the cake and watch it drip down the sides. It’s awesome to see the colors blend together and make such stunning patterns!
In about 30 minutes, your marble drip cake will harden and keep its shape!
A Fun Decorated Cake
This cake is perfect for any occasion.
This is great for a birthday cake, and you can make it with the person’s favorite color.
Tips for Decorating
- Make sure your cake has cooled to a warm temperature before decorating.
- Once the cake is covered in fondant, you can let it cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes if needed.
- Remember to place the cake on a rack over a cookie tray before pouring the icing over. This will ensure you don’t end up in a mess!
- Finish decorating the cake with fresh fruit or edible flowers.
- For the marbling, try to stick to different shades of the same color. It will give the marble drip cake a marble look.
- To make it even easier, call your local bakery and order an 8″ round cake covered in white fondant. Then all you need to do is add the icing.
When to Serve a Marble Drip Cake
This cake is perfect for parties or special occasions. Here are ideas when you can serve a marble cake:
More Recipes You’ll Love!
Looking for more? Here are some of our top cake recipes!
Now that you know how to make the most amazing marble drip cake, show us your pictures! Please tag us on social and leave a comment below!
Marble Drip Icing
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- food coloring, gel or drops
- Cover a round cake in fondant.
- Add all of the ingredients, except the food coloring, in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add in drops of food coloring, or use a wooden popsicle stick to add drops of gel food coloring to the icing. Do not mix it. It will give it’s own marbling effect when it’s poured.
- Place the fondant cake on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath.
- Pour the icing over the top and let it dry.