This vegetable couscous salad is flavorful and colorful! It’s made with fresh vegetables and tossed with the most delicious cumin, curry salad dressing. The perfect side dish for any gathering!
Vegetable couscous salad is one of my favorite dishes when entertaining, especially during the summer!
Couscous is a versatile grain and when mixed with fresh vegetables and our delicious cumin dressing it’s the most flavorful dish. I will actually eat an entire bowl for lunch!
We added garbanzo beans to the salad, so it’s full of good protein too. It really can be a meal on its own.
Ingredients in Vegetable Couscous Salad
- Red Pepper
- Garbonzo beans
It’s easy to make too, just a little chopping and then everything goes into one bowl.
The Best Couscous Salad Dressing
The dressing is literally heaven! It’s so flavorful and fresh with the lemon juice. Everything goes into a salad dressing shaker and then poured over the couscous. Here’s a list of ingredients and recipe below!
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
What is couscous?
Couscous is a Moroccan dish and it’s made from semolina, which is milled from durum wheat. It’s like a very small pasta made from wheat.
It’s funny to think of it like pasta, but it’s in that family and goes well with a lot of the ingredients you would see in a pasta recipe.
Is Couscous Healthy?
Couscous contains selenium which is rich in antioxidants. It also plays a role in thyroid health. It’s also said to maybe lower cancer risk and boost your immune system.
You can read more about the health benefits of couscous here.
How do you make couscous?
Couscous is prepared in water or broth over the stovetop. It’s boiled with the liquid and obe it reaches a boil, the heat is turned to low and left to simmer until it becomes fluffy.
For this recipe, we use vegetable broth to cook the couscous giving it extra flavor. You can use chicken or beef broth as well.
What to serve it with…
This salad goes perfectly with grilled meat like steak or chicken. It’s also the perfect side dish if you’re serving salmon.
A perfect summer dinner would be grilled steak served with vegetable couscous salad and a glass of wine!
It would also be perfect with our peach lemonade. The perfect lunch to pack a spring and summer picnic.
For dessert make our strawberry lemonade pie.
More Delicious Dinner Recipes!
Vegetable Couscous Salad
Vegetable Couscous Salad
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 6 ounces couccous
- 1 medium tomatoe , chopped
- 3 scallions , chopped
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 medium zucchini , chopped
- 6 ounces corn , off the cob, you can buy it already off the cob to make it easier.
Couscous Salad Dressing
- 6 tbsp lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground curry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Finely chop all vegetables.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add couscous and boil for 1 minute.
- Cover and remove from heat and let the couscous sit for 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Fluff it more with a fork.
- Let the couscous cool to room temperature.
- White the couscous is cooling, make the dressing.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients in a salad shaker and sake to combine.
- In a large salad bowl add the couscous, finely chooped vegetables and the dressing and toss the salad to mix.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!