It’s all about the homemade blue cheese dressing with this classic wedge salad recipe! Literally the BEST wedge salad dressing I’ve ever had. It has extra flavor from t
This salad is perfect as a side dish or even for a light lunch. If you’re going to serve an easy wedge salad, make a homemade dressing. It’s so worth it! We promise you will make this recipe over and over!
It wasn’t until my 30’s that I started making a wedge salad at home. I’ve always ordered them, mostly when we dined at a steak house, and it’s been one of my favorite salads for years.
Why make this Wedge Salad
Once my mother-in-law shared this recipe with me, I was hooked! It’s hard to even order them at restaurants now because nothing compares to this.
Really it’s all about the dressing (SO GOOD) and a simple onion trick too!
It’s fresh, so easy to make and perfect for a BBQ.
How to Make a Wedge Salad
Iceberg Lettuce – A head of ice beryls lettuce is exactly what you need for a wedge salad.
Onions – We use purple onion and have a tip for making them a little less strong below.
Bacon – A thick cut bacon will work perfectly for this recipe. See our tips for making bacon in a skillet.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing – Our homemade recipe is absolutely the best. It’s what makes this recipe stand out from the rest.
The BEST Wedge Salad Blue Cheese Dressing
The dressing is what makes this recipe so delicious! It has a little hot sauce, which gives it a kick, and fresh lemon juice in it.
The chunks of blue cheese are so good paired with the salad and it’s all seasoned with salt and pepper. You just mix all of the ingredients below in a medium bowl and that’s it! You will love it.
- Mayonnaise – Full fat mayonnaise is what we use and has the most flavor. However, you can try an olive oil base.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice only.
- Tabasco Sauce
- Blue Cheese – Crumbled or a block that you can crumble will work.
- Buttermilk – Full fat, organic buttermilk.
Classic Wedge Salad Toppings
I prefer bacon, our homemade dressing, and onions on the salad. I know people love tomatoes as a topping too. For some odd reason, I don’t!
BUT tomatoes are perfectly acceptable and traditional on a wedge salad, so add them if you like!
- Homemade Dressing
- Sliced Onions
- Thick Cut Bacon
- Salt and Pepper
- Tomatoes (if you prefer)
Tips for Making a Wedge Salad
How to Cook Bacon in a Cast Iron Skillet
There are several ways to cook bacon, but when making a wedge, I like to cook it quickly in my cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, get one! They’re affordable and last a lifetime!
- Arrange 6-8 slices thick-sliced bacon in the cast-iron skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until the bacon starts to brown.
- Use tongs to turn the bacon over and brown on the other side.
- Just a few minutes on each side should work.
- Once fully cooked, remove and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Cut into smaller pieces for the salad.
How to Take the Bite out of Raw Onion
Raw onions are a very important part of a wedge salad, but sometimes they can be a little intense! Here’s a tip for taking the edge off of the raw onion and making them perfect for your salad.
Slice the onions as the recipe calls for, then soak them in ice water for 10-15 minutes. This will mellow the flavor a little. How easy is that?!
Frequently Asked Questions
An iceberg wedge salad is a salad recipe made with iceberg lettuce. The lettuce head is cut into a wedge and topped with blue cheese dressing, bacon and other delicious toppings.
Using a pre-washed (if possible) crisp, iceberg lettuce, cut the round in half and then cut it in half lengthwise. This will give you four wedges. You can also cut the stem off, but I leave it all intact, which also keeps the lettuce together. Just two slices and a good wash and it’s ready to be served.
Serve the wedge salad as a wedge with all of the toppings. Serve with a knife and fork so guests can cut the wedge as they eat.
I like to chop the entire wedge first, then dig in. Some people prefer to cut into the wedge at the go. There is no right or wrong way!
Yes, washing the head of lettuce before you cut it into a wedge is suggested. Give it a good rinse under cold water and then pat it dry.
More Delicious Dinner Recipes!
Let us know if you make this wedge salad recipe by leaving a comment and review below!
Best Wedge Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 pound bacon, cut into thicker slices
- 1 Large Head Fresh iceberg lettuce
- 1 red onion, sliced
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, ground pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
- Add in the crumbled blue cheese and stir well.
- Add in the buttermilk and continue to stir until the ingredients are combined.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until golden brown. Set aside.
- Make two cuts to the iceberg lettuce. One down the middle and then one horizontally so you have four large wedge pieces to serve.
- Arrange the four wedges on a platter and add the dressing over the top. Be generous with the dressing, it’s the best part!
- Add the bacon and the sliced onions over the wedges. Enjoy!