These zesty lemon ricotta pancakes are absolutely divine! They are so flavorful, buttery, moist with the perfect lemon flavor. Truly one of the best pancake recipes ever!
After having the lemon ricotta pancakes at Plow in San Fransisco, I knew I needed to come up with my own recipe. They had a very strong lemon flavor, so I knew I couldn’t be shy with the lemons.
It was Zan’s idea that I try making my own homemade ricotta because to get them tasting as good as Plow’s, it was important to use the best of the best. And let’s face it, homemade is always better.
We had leftovers, so Zan slathered it all over a frozen pizza as well, which took it to another level. Yes, we eat frozen pizzas over here from time to time… we’re working parents! Anyway, these pancakes are so delicious and would be a great addition to a festive Easter brunch or a sweet Saturday morning breakfast.
Whoever thought of adding ricotta to pancake batter – hats off to you! It really is an inspired addition to a regular pancake recipe. The pancakes definitely don’t taste ‘cheesy’, but rather have a wonderfully milky richness and creaminess to each bite. You have to give them a go!
How To Make Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Using homemade ricotta really does make the difference. I followed Ina’s recipe, which is so simple, you’ll be amazed!
Essentially, heat and stir your ingredients, let stand for a moment and then drain through cheesecloth. Super simple and so delicious!
However, if you want to save time (and dishes) you can use store-bought ricotta. Get a good, organic brand if you can.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes – Perfect For Brunch
Pancakes are always popular at brunch, and these lemon ricotta pancakes just bring them to the next level, with their rich flavor and fluffy texture.
Not only do they taste extra special but they really are easy to whip up! Perfect for brunch gatherings.
Tips For Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Do not over mix your ingredients or you will get tough pancakes.
- The batter will be thicker than regular pancake batter and will be clumpier with the cheese.
- Use a cookie scoop or pancake dispenser.
- Make sure your pancakes are nice and golden brown before flipping.
Check Out These Other Great Brunch Recipes
All of our favorite brunch recipes!
Let us know if you make these lemon ricotta pancakes by leaving a comment and review below! We’d love to know your thoughts!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Homemade Ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 organic egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 1 cup homemade ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Combine the flour, baking powder, white sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk lightly a few times to mix.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, egg, melted butter, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Whisk to mix.
- Add in the ricotta cheese and continue to mix. It’s okay to have clumps of ricotta cheese.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Whisk lightly until combined or you see just a few traces of flour.
- Do not over mix or you will get tough pancakes.
- The batter will be thicker and a little clumpy from the cheese.
- Over medium heat, melt some butter in a pan and let it brown just a little.
- Add in 1/2 cup of the batter and let it become a nice golden brown before flipping!
- Top with organic maple syrup, a little lemon zest and some powdered sugar. Yum!