Soft lemon ricotta cookies that are perfect for spring! These cake-like cookies are bursting with bright lemon flavor and have a delightful texture thanks to the addition of creamy ricotta cheese.
Ricotta cheese is used in this recipe to create a soft and cakey texture. The cheese’s moisture and richness can help keep the cookies tender and prevent them from becoming too dry or crumbly.
The cookies are soft, moist, and have a tangy taste that makes them perfect for a snack or dessert.
We made a quick strawberry lemon glaze to add some color to these cookies. This is easy to do using freeze-dried strawberry dust!
They’re perfect for everything from afternoon tea to a fancy dinner party, and they’re easy to make even if you’re not an experienced baker. You can whip up a batch of these delicious cookies with just a few simple ingredients in no time.
If you love this combination, try our lemon ricotta pancakes! We’ve been making them for the past 15 years!
Why You’ll Love These Cookies
- Soft and Tender Texture: Lemon Ricotta Cookies are made with ricotta cheese, which gives them a soft and tender texture. The texture is almost cake-like, making them a delightful treat to eat.
- Zesty Lemon Flavor: The cookies have a bright, zesty lemon flavor that is refreshing and satisfying. The lemon flavor is not overpowering but enough to give the cookies a delicious citrus kick.
- Versatile: Lemon Ricotta Cookies can be enjoyed anytime, whether as a midday snack, dessert, or breakfast. They are also perfect for sharing with friends and family or bringing to a potluck or party.
How to Make Lemon Ricotta Cookies
We’ll cover everything you need to know to make these cake-like lemon ricotta cookies and share our tips. You can find the recipe card at the bottom of this post if you prefer to head to the recipe.
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
- Wire Rack or Cooling Rack
- Cookie Sheet
Making Lemon Ricotta Cookies is easy and requires simple ingredients that you can find in your kitchen or local grocery store. Here are the ingredients you will need:
All-purpose Flour – Make sure to measure the flour correctly when baking. For these cookies, you can also use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free blend.
Cornstarch – This ingredient helps keep the lemon ricotta cookies soft and tender.
Granulated Sugar – Granulated sugar is used to sweeten cookies.
Baking Powder – Baking powder helps the cookies to rise and creates a light, airy texture.
Eggs – An egg binds the lemon ricotta cookie dough and adds moisture.
Ricotta Cheese – Full-fat ricotta cheese works best and adds moisture to the lemon ricotta cookies.
Unsalted Butter – Unsalted butter adds flavor and richness and helps to keep the lemon ricotta cookies tender.
Lemon Juice & Zest – The lemon juice and zest give the cookies a lovely lemon flavor and aroma.
Vanilla Extract – Vanilla adds a subtle sweetness to the lemon ricotta cookies.
Salt – A pinch of salt helps balance the flavors in the lemon ricotta cookies.
This is the most delicious glaze, made with just a few ingredients. We add the strawberry powder to give it a hint of pink, but this is optional.
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp freeze-dried strawberry powder (optional)
Whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl until smooth.
Add the lemon zest to the bowl and whisk it into the glaze until well combined.
If the glaze is too thick, add more lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
If the glaze is too thin, add more confectioners sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it thickens up.
Once the glaze is ready, you can drizzle it over your Lemon Ricotta Cookies or any other baked goods you choose. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and variations to make your Lemon Ricotta Cookies even more delicious:
- You can add other flavors to the batter, such as almond or vanilla extract.
- To make the cookies look fancier, you can drizzle them with a simple glaze made from powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature before you start baking.
- To make this cookie gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour typically used in the recipe with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Always check the freshness of the ingredients you are using.
- Always use quality ingredients.
How to Store
To store lemon ricotta cookies, you should first let them cool completely. Then, please place them in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you want to keep them fresh for longer, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
You can freeze them for up to 3 months. When freezing, wrap them tightly in plastic or aluminum foil before placing them in a freezer-safe container or bag.
To thaw, remove them from the freezer and let them come to room temperature before serving.
When to Serve Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Lemon ricotta cookies are perfect for any occasion. They make a great snack or after-dinner dessert. Here are some special events we love to serve these cookies:
- Tea Party
- Birthday Party
- Lemon-Inspired Spring Table Setting
- Easter Brunch
Serve these cookies with our fruit platter or fruit and cheese platter. They also go well with a delicious glass of Meyer lemonade!
Ricotta cheese is a soft and creamy cheese made from whey and has a slightly sweet and tangy flavor. When used in a cookie recipe, it adds moisture and richness to the dough, resulting in a tender and cake-like texture. It can also add a subtle flavor that complements other ingredients in the recipe.
More Lemon Recipes
Here are more of our favorite recipes using lemons for all of you lemon lovers!
If you love ricotta cheese as much as we do, this whipped ricotta cheese dip is the best!
Let us know your thoughts!
These Lemon Ricotta Cookies are a delicious treat perfect for any occasion. One of the best things about these cookies is the soft texture.
The addition of ricotta cheese gives them a soft and chewy consistency that is delightful. And the lemon zest adds a bright and refreshing flavor that is perfect for spring and summer.
If you make these cookies, let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment and review below.
You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipes, cocktails, desserts, and parties!
Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temp.
- 2 large eggs
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, more if needed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp freeze-dried strawberry powder , optional for pink color
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients: Flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or a large bowl for a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add each egg in one at a time.
- Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Beat on high until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Bake 9 cookies at a time.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies have risen.
- Let them cool while you make the glaze.
- To make the glaze, add all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix with a fork until combined.
- Add more lemon juice if it's too thick or a tablespoon of powdered sugar if it's too thin. You want a nice glaze consistency.
- Drizzle over the top of each cookie.
2 thoughts on “Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze”
Hi! How much sugar should be added? It’s not mentioned in the recipe.
Updated! Thank you and it’s 2 cups 🙂