Known for its kind hospitality, very friendly people, crystal clear blue waters and lush green mountains, New Zealand has been on my travel list for awhile. It’s been on my husband’s because they shot the breathtaking Lord of the Rings Trilogy there! After watching this absolutely gorgeous video, I know I need to see it in person one day soon. I would love to spend a few days eating, shopping and exploring the metro areas of Auckland and Wellington and then off to the countryside to take it ALL in.
What a beautiful world we live in, right? And not to take away from the vast scenery of New Zealand (because really what compares?!), but I heard of a very popular flavor of ice cream in New Zealand called Hokey Pokey. Pretty much everything I’ve read and what people have said is that it’s a staple flavor at every ice cream shop in New Zealand and it’s something you MUST try when you’re there. I am one of those people who searches for the local faves when traveling, especially sweets! So in honor of New Zealand and my future vacation there (not booked, but fingers crossed!) I decided to make a homemade Hokey Pokey ice cream recipe and OH MY GOODNESS is it AMAZING! It makes you want to do the Hokey Pokey, turn yourself around and eat more! The photos don’t even do it justice. It’s a super creamy vanilla based ice cream that I adapted from Jeni’s recipe and it’s mixed in with a homemade honeycomb. The honeycomb creates a delicious, rich caramel taste with a light crunchy texture. When the honeycomb is mixed into the ice cream, some of it melts and creates the most delicious swirl throughout the ice cream. I really can’t tell you all enough how much you need to make this recipe! I promise you won’t be disappointed! New Zealand, I’m coming for you and your Hokey Pokey.
Hokey Pokey Honeycomb Recipe
- 1 cup caster sugar, super fine sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup, find this at Whole Foods or online
- 3 Tablespoons baking soda
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set closely to the range where you’ll be melting the sugar and syrup.
- Place the sugar and the syrup in a medium sauce pan and stir until the mixture melts. It will become thick first, but as it heats it will melt into a gooey syrup. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture is bubbling and richer in color, like a dark golden brown add in the baking powder and whisk quickly. Immediately pour the mixture on to the parchment paper while it’s still fluffy.
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes then bash it to pieces! The inside will resemble a honey comb. Leave some thicker ones for an extra crunchy ice cream texture!