The most flavorful, homemade peppermint hot chocolate recipe. This recipe is made with real chocolate, and peppermint extract and has a rich chocolate and peppermint flavor. It’s easy to make and perfect for a chilly evening!
When the weather outside is frightful, there’s nothing more delightful than a cup of peppermint hot chocolate! I love this recipe because it has the most incredible chocolate flavor and a smooth peppermint taste.
It can be quickly made on the stovetop and takes just 10 mins! There is no comparison between making homemade hot chocolate to a hot chocolate mix. Hot chocolate mixes can be watery, filled with sugar, and not flavorful. So next time you want a cup of hot chocolate, make your own!
If you’re looking for a peppermint hot chocolate recipe to serve during the holiday season, that is both easy to make and super flavorful, this recipe is for you! It goes perfectly with our hot chocolate Charcuterie board too!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Here is everything you need to make this delicious warm drink! The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
You’ll need a few supplies to make this recipe:
- Medium Saucepan
- Measuring Cups
Milk – You can use any milk you prefer. We like whole or 2% milk, but nonfat or a milk substitute like almond or oat milk will also work well. If you want a super rich and creamy drink, then use heavy cream or a mixture of heavy cream and whole milk.
Honey – We use honey to give the drink a little extra sweetness.
Salt – This is to enhance the ingredients in the hot chocolate.
Chocolate Chips – Use a combination of chocolate like semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips. This is where the recipe gets the chocolate flavor from. You can also use chopped chocolate bars too.
Peppermint Extract – This is what gives the recipe peppermint flavor.
Vanilla Extract – Add a dash of vanilla to give it flavor depth.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Heat the milk, honey, and salt in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add in the chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract.
- Let the chocolate chips sit for a few minutes to soften, then whisk until combined.
Tips for Making the Best Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Serve immediately for best results. This peppermint hot chocolate is delicious when served with whipped cream and a candy cane!
- If you want an extra peppermint flavor, add a candy cane to the mug and let it dissolve as you drink.
- Use high-quality ingredients like organic milk and real chocolate chips.
- If the hot chocolate gets too thick, add a little more milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- To make peppermint white hot chocolate use white chocolate chips instead of milk and semisweet.
- If you’re serving this to adults, add in a bit of peppermint schnapps!
Dairy-Free: You can make this recipe dairy free by using plant-based milk and dairy-free chocolate chips. Try coconut milk, cashew milk, or oat milk for delicious flavors.
Sugar-Free: Use sugar-free chocolate like Lily’s Chocolate Chips. You can also substitute the honey for a sugar-free sweetener.
Keto: Use unsweetened almond milk and sugar-free chocolate like Lily’s Chocolate Chips. You can substitute honey for another sweetener like stevia or monk fruit.
How to Store
This peppermint hot chocolate recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just reheat on the stove when you’re ready to enjoy!
Best Hot Chocolate Toppings
It’s all about the toppings! Here are some of my favorite toppings to add to hot cocoa:
- Whipped Cream
- Chopped Chocolate
- Crushed Candy Cane
- Grated Peppermint
- Shaved Chocolate
When to Serve
This peppermint hot chocolate recipe is perfect for chilly evenings, holiday gatherings, or anytime you’re in the mood for a cozy drink! Here are a few special occasions I love to serve this cocoa:
Serve this hot cocoa recipe with Christmas cookies or eggnog cinnamon rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Peppermint hot chocolate is made with milk, chocolate chips, peppermint extract, vanilla, and honey. It’s easy to make and perfect for a chilly evening!
White peppermint hot chocolate has a smooth peppermint taste and white chocolate flavor. It’s delicious and perfect if you’re not a dark chocolate fan!
More Drink Recipes You’ll Love
There’s nothing better than a cup of peppermint hot chocolate on a cold winter day. This festive drink is easy to make and super flavorful, I know it will bring joy to you, your family, and your friends!
Let us know if you make this easy hot chocolate by leaving a comment and review!
You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipes, cocktails, desserts, and parties!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 cups milk, use whole milk, 2% milk or a plant based milk.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 3 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat milk, honey, and salt in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point.
- Whisk constantly while the milk is heating to avoid the milk from burning.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Let them sit for 30 seconds in the milk to soften. Then whisk until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Add in the vanilla and peppermint and whisk.
- Serve in mugs and top with whipped cream or marshmallows.