Hot chocolate cupcakes are made using actual hot chocolate, filled with homemade marshmallow fluff, and frosted with the silkiest, chocolate buttercream. The cupcakes are topped with a marshmallow and dusted with hot chocolate.
We all love a warm, rich cup of hot cocoa. It’s best sipped in a giant mug with melty marshmallows. Each sip warms the soul and creates the best memories. It’s always been a childhood favorite and to this day still is! So we gave the classic drink a fun makeover and turned them into cupcakes!
The best part about these cupcakes is that they’re made with an actual packet of hot chocolate as well as cocoa powder. They’re also dusted with hot chocolate and filled with the best marshmallow fluff. They didn’t last long in our house and everyone loved them!!
These cupcakes are perfect for summer campouts, fall gatherings or winter. They’re great for birthdays or a fun baking activity on a Sunday afternoon.
Also check out our best chocolate cake and fluffy chocolate orange cake too.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Follow our recipe below to make the chocolate cupcakes. What makes this recipe different is the addition of a hot chocolate packet and unsweetened cocoa.
Next, when the cupcakes are baked and cooled, remove the center of the cupcake to fill with marshmallow fluff.
The easiest way to fill them is to add the marshmallow fluff into a piping bag and then pipe it into the cupcake.
Then after they’re all filled, you’re ready to frost! We have the easiest method for frosting these cupcakes!
Using a cookie scooper, scoop a ball of homemade chocolate frosting on top of the cupcake. Could that be any easier?! Add a large marshmallow on the top and dust the cupcakes with a packet of hot chocolate.
Homemade Marshmallow Fluff Recipe
There really isn’t anything like homemade marshmallow fluff. Yes, you’ve seen it in a jar at the store but when it’s homemade it’s light, airy, made with fewer ingredients, less sweet, and fluffy! The perfect topping for so many different desserts!
Silky Chocolate Frosting
This is the best buttercream chocolate frosting ever! It’s incredibly creamy, full of chocolate flavor, and made with only 6 ingredients. You will never need another chocolate frosting recipe.
Supplies for Making Cupcakes
- Cupcake Wrappers
- Cookie Scooper (works for the cupcake batter and frosting)
- Cupcake Baking Sheet
- Cooling Rack
- Piping Bags
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
What is the best hot chocolate?
Of course, everyone has their preference. We love a really rich hot chocolate made with quality ingredients. Here are a few of our favorites. You can use these in the recipe and dust over the top of the cupcake.
More Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love!
See More Hot Chocolate Recipes!
Let us know if you make these cupcakes by leaving a review and comment below! We’d love to know your thoughts!
You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipes, cocktails, desserts, and parties!
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounce hot chocolate mix, divided 1 ounce for the batter and 1 ounce for dusting over the cupcakes.
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
Creamy Chocolate Frosting (follow the directions and ingredients)
Homemade Marshmallow Fluff (follow for directions and ingredients)
- 20 large marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter, sugar, vanilla until fluffy. About 3 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- In another bowl add flour, cocoa powder, hot chocolate mix, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Measure milk and oil together in a measuring cup.
- Alternate adding in the flour mix and the milk and oil mixture to the butter and beat on low.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until smooth.
- Line a cupcake pan and fill each cup 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cupcakes are not jiggly in the center. Do not over bake.
- Let the cupcakes cool, then remove a small hole in the center using a little spoon.
- Add marshmallow fluff into a piping bag (or a ziplock and cut the corner) and fill the center of the cupcakes. You can always make the marshmallow fluff the day before or use store-bought.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop a ball of frosting over the top of the cupcake.
- Add a large marshmallow ontop and dust with hot chocolate powder.