Hosting an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party? Look no further! We’re sharing the most charming party inspired by the colorful Alice in Wonderland. This party is perfect for kids, teens or even adults who just love a festive and fun party theme!
How To Plan an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party
Alice in Wonderland is a fun party theme because you can get really creative with the decor. It’s all about whimsical decorations, colorful and items that are even a little odd. The best party is that you can have fun with it and really get into he world of Alice!
- Send out your invites well in advance. You can use Paperless Post or Evite.
- Shop thrift and vintage shops for interesting and mismatched cups, saucers and plates! This is where we got all of our tea sets and fun vintage items.
- Create your menu with tea party food, like mini tea sandwiches, cookies, scones, etc.
- Make sure you have enough tables and chairs or throw pillows for enough guests.
- Plan flowers, if you make an arragement or order one from a florist.
- Plan what tea you want to serve as well as other beverages.
Learn how to brew the perfect cup of tea for your party.
Decorate Your Alice in Wonderland Tea Party
For the decor, scoure vintage shops and antique stores for funky teacups and found a plethora of unmatched, colorful cups and saucers.
Don’t worry about being matchy-matchy. Mix the flowers with old and new tableware in various patterns – this will allow you to create your own look.
If you are able to visit a flea market or garage sale, look out for old silver trays, teapots, and teacups. Don’t be afraid to mix and match teacups too. Straw hats can also be incorporated into your tablescape for a fresh look.
Fresh flowers are always a must when throwing a party! The flower arrangements should be lush and have an “unarranged” feeling to them. Mix roses with other garden-variety flowers such as hydrangeas.
DIY Colorful Tablecloth
For a colorful tablecloth, head to a craft store and get 6 different colors of fabric. Have them cut long enough to reach the floor.
Layer the table with these colors for a festive, whimsy tablecloth.
Sweets For Your Tea Party
Serve warm tea with honey, delicious tea sandwiches, macarons, scones, fresh fruit and more. Here are some ideas:
the cutest chocolate cats, marzipan strawberries, shortbread cookies with “eat me” written on them, lemon scones, and a delicious vanilla cake with asymmetrical flowers added to it!
The important thing is to keep it colorful and varied! Why not fill teapots with lollipops or apothecary glasses jars with shiny wrapped sweets! You can really get creative when the theme is colorful chaos!
Other sweets are often served with full tea or light tea. Common types of sweets found on tea party menus include various types of sponge cakes, Madeleines, cupcakes (which are ideal for kids’ tea parties) and trifles.
Be careful not to have too much overlap in the types of sweets you serve. Ideally, your sweets menu will include a variety of flavors, such as seasonal fruit (or, in the cooler months, preserves), cream, vanilla or chocolate.
Tea at your Alice in Wonderland Tea Party
With so much of a focus on the foods in afternoon tea, it can be easy to overlook the…. tea!
Finger Sandwiches at your Alice in Wonderland Tea Party
Finger sandwiches (also known as “tea sandwiches”) are often served at full tea, a heavier style of afternoon tea menu.
Classic afternoon tea sandwiches include egg salad, tea sandwiches, cucumber tea sandwiches, smoked salmon finger sandwiches, roast beef finger sandwiches, ham finger sandwiches, and chicken salad finger sandwiches.
However, you can venture beyond these more traditional tea sandwiches with other tea sandwich recipes, like watercress tea sandwiches or buttered radish finger sandwiches. Just be sure to keep the intensity of the flavors in your finger sandwiches comparable to the level of flavor in your tea and sweets.
You can also make our ham and cheese sliders a fun option!
Tips for Hosting an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party
- Make sure to send out your invites well in advance.
- Find mismatching cups and saucers in vintage and thrift shops.
- Have a floral centerpiece for an added pop of color.
- Have some caffeine-free tea available for guests.
Check Out These Other Great Party Ideas
If you host an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Tea Party Food – Cucumber Sandwiches
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 cucumber
- 1/8 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 tsp chives, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice, minced
- 1 tsp dill, minced
- Peel the cucumbers and cut them into thin 1/8 inch slices.
- Lay them on a paper towel to let the moisture soak through.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayo, lemon juice, and herbs and whip together until creamy and smooth.
- Spread the whipped cream cheese spread one side of each piece of bread.
- Layer the cucumbers on 4 pieces of bread then place another piece on the top. You should have 4 full sandwiches.
- Next, using a sharp knife, cut the sandwiches into quarters to make 16 sandwiches.